Sunday, November 7, 2010

Unprepared.

The rest of my life has been taking a toll on my practicing in recent weeks. First, my early morning practice started to get cut short, so I could get to work, then it would get cut entirely. Or I'd miss my evening practice for one reason or another, leaving me with only one practice in a day. Finally, on Wednesday, the day before the Telemann performance, I missed an entire day of practicing. Terrible. I practiced during the day briefly, but it was hard to make anything work. It reminded me of unhappy memories of trying to cram practicing, starting too late to advance too much, trying to figure out how to best improve an impossible situation in too little time, on the day of or before a lesson or an important event. Not a good feeling. The show? Well, it went, probably about as well as could be expected. I put my music stand too high, and my glasses kept slipping down so I couldn't see the music. Which didn't damage things too much really. I'm currently missing about 3 days in a row, on a trip, though I did get about 10 minutes of scales in at 5 in the morning before I went to catch my plane, just to remove one of those days of zero practice. I'm slowly starting to realize what a difficult instrument this is, at least to be able to play it the way I hear it in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment