Sunday, October 2, 2011

A ciranda of seven notes

I'm currently working on Villa-Lobos, Ciranda das Sete Notas. I picked it from a pile of possible music M laid out because: it was relatively recent, so a good contrast to having worked on Mozart; and because it was Spanish, and I figured that I'd have a lot to learn since I'd never worked on something Spanish before. I'm having fun with it, but I was correct in thinking that I would have a lot to learn. For instance, I was having a hard time remembering its name. While chatting with my mom, I figured that it might help if I figured out what the name meant. It took a moment, but apparently it means Ciranda of seven notes. Also, it's Brazilian, not Spanish. That's what I mean about having a lot to learn. And a ciranda? That, apparently, is a
a circle dance, done in the village, with everyone of all ages particpating. While imbibing traditional Brazilian cocktails. Sounds like fun. Here's the pop singer's Ciranda, mentioned in the article about the dance:

No comments:

Post a Comment