Monday, June 13, 2011

Last Mozart show

The last performance of the Mozart has come and gone. We were playing in a school gymnasium in a small town a couple hours away. We had a good turnout, it was a benefit organized by a few local teachers, with dessert served at intermission, and an auction afterward. We were set up fairly close to the audience, so there was maybe two feet between my bassoon and the people in the front row. Right in front of me was a burly biker type, he scowled and crossed his arms during my entire performance.  It was the attack of the bassoon soloist, I'm not sure I would have been happy either, with a bassoon in my personal space. Nevertheless, I was satisfied with how things went.

Here's the reed I used. In the end, I used the same reed for all three shows. It was starting to get a little old, but I felt like the pitch was a little more stable with this reed than the other one I was considering, even if that one was a little brighter.

And here's the recording. I left my iPod out propped against a video camera case from someone who was recording. Unfortunately, they came by and tidied up, resulting in my recording having been taken from *inside* the foam camera case. Not the best mic location, but you can still hear what happened.

I'm not yet sure which performance was best. I'll have to listen carefully at some point, and see if I can't put together a canonical, souvenir version. Something I can show to my parents, or listen to later.

Overall, it was a great experience to have had. I learned a lot while doing it, and had a lot of fun.

  Mozart Bassoon Concerto 2011-06-12 by TFox17

No comments:

Post a Comment